Monday, June 15, 2015

RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD and the story about it by TOM BROWN

CLICK HERE for this painting.
I was having a cup of coffee on my back patio early this morning when this beautiful little hummingbird came within inches of me to investigate the red shirt I was wearing. After hovering for quite a while he settled on a branch near my chair.

I had a pad of notepaper and quickly did a pencil sketch of him along with notes about his iridescent feathers shimmering in the morning light.

As soon as I finished my coffee I grabbed one of my small paintboxes and returned to the patio to paint this little beauty. The bird was gone by then and didn't return while I painted this, but my sketch and notes were adequate to complete this little jewel of a painting.

We have 5 hummingbird feeders in our back yard and have a wide variety of these little beauties daily. But it was a rare treat to have this one settle in so close to me and remain for such a long time while I sketched him and made my notes. It was the perfect start to my day.
Questions? Email me here:   tombrownstudio@cox.net

1 comment:

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...