Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Oil Sketch


Here is a small, 6x8 inch sketch on canvas paper, of a scene from Laguna Beach, CA. 

I usually don't work on preliminary sketches before working on larger paintings, I like to dive in and get right to it. I think the spontaneity one achieves on those first tries gets lost the more you reproduce your results. But, I was at the local art store recently, shopping for a new large wooden palette, when I saw this awesome little wooden oil sketch box. 


Of course I had to buy it!!

The sketch pictured at the top of this post is the first result from this oil sketch kit. I love it! Great portability, perfect for smaller paint tubes. And since I'm a 100% knife painter, there's no worry about carrying turp and brush cases.

Looking forward to creating many many more. The question now is, do I keep calling the small paintings "sketches", or regard them for what they are, complete finished paintings in their own right. 

Hmmm...

- Arroyo -

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...