Thursday, November 20, 2014

Mercury glass

 Mercury Glass - SOLD
5 x 7 oil on panel

I inherited a number of mercury glass ornaments that were my parents and their parents before them which were hung on Christmas trees over the years. Its amusing to see manufacturers create replicas of original mercury glass.  As is said, what goes around, comes around.  It seems the world reverts to the classics in many areas.

Mercury glass, also known as silvered glass, contains neither mercury nor silver. It's actually clear glass, mold-blown into double-walled shapes and coated on the inside with a silvering formula.  There is a nostalgia associated with these decorative ornaments and they do have a special appeal that can't be found in ornaments found today. 

These ornament sized paintings are a break for me between painting larger pieces in my current boat series.

You can find more of my work on my website Jeanette Jobson Fine Art, on my blog, Illustrated Life, and on Facebook and Twitter.  Stop by and say hi, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...