Saturday, November 22, 2014

Gold Mercury


 Gold Mercury
5 x 7   oil on panel

And still more mercury glass!  

Its more about the challenge of painting reflections than the actual shape of a subject for me. The light is likely what draws me to paint water and boats.  Reflected light and shadow need careful observation and consideration before putting down a single palette knife stroke.  Using a fractured stroke in areas, I drag wet paint across the picture plane, pulling colour from one area into another, creating lost edges and movement.

I probably look more than I paint in fact - like the carpenter's saying "Measure twice, cut once."  Its similar for artists.  The longer you spend observing and taking in visual information on shape, colour and value, the better chance you have for success than if you just slap down paint then try to correct in on the support.  That's when mud and frustration happen.

You can find more of my work on my website Jeanette Jobson Fine Art, my blog, Illustrated Life and on Facebook and Twitter.  Stop by and say hi, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...