Sunday, June 22, 2014

Plein Air Field Study by Janice Tingum

Plein Air Field Study
by Janice Tingum
Plein Air Palette Knife Painting
Oil on panel
9" x 12"


When painting en plein air, I use the oil paints directly out of the tube and apply them with a palette knife. There are several benefits to this:
* The paint is thick and buttery, spreading easily with my palette knife.
* When I want the textural effects of the palette knife to show, the paint holds its shape.
* With thick paint, it is easy to cover a large area quickly. 
* I don't need to carry any mineral spirits or other mediums outdoors.
* For clean up, I just wipe my palette knife off with a paper towel.

While I frequently touch up plein air paintings in the studio later, I left Plein Air Field Study just the way it was when I stopped painting on it outdoors. I liked the simplicity of the scene, the intensity of the colors and the feeling of being close to the land.

E-books by Janice Tingum:



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...