Sunday, October 16, 2011

Southwest Desert Moonscape by BECKY JOY


"Rising Moon" 6"x6" oil on canvas panel. $75. DPW auction. Click here to bid.
I just got back a couple of days ago from California. First I participated in the San Luis Obispo Plein Air. I was really pleased with the painting that I did in the area. It is a favorite place of mine to paint (photos to come) and I have made some great friends in the area that I see every year. At the end of the trip I heard from my friend Deb Groesser who was in Laguna. She invited me down to stay and paint with her for a couple of days. It didn't take much convincing to get me down there. So as soon as the show closed in SLO, I was off to Laguna.
We first went toured around to see some artist friends participating in the Laguna Plein Air Festival, then she showed me her favorite places to paint. We painted in the afternoon, which I found very frustrating. I started chasing the light as it started with sunny weather then turned to fog. My painting was all over the place. I gave up and wiped it off.
The next morning we went down to Crystal Cove. I painted a foggy painting, then a sunny one. I'll put them on the website tomorrow. I really had a good time painting the light with the fog this time.
I then came home about 3 days later than planned. So I have been playing catch up this week and rest time too. As I drove across the desert a few days ago, the moon was rising. Since I was driving with no where to pull over and paint, I was trying to make mental notes about the colors and values of the sky, moon, light on the mountains and tops of some plants. This painting is about my impressions as the moon was rising in the desert.
I still have openings in my workshops, both online and ones in the Phoenix area.
Talk to you all later.
Becky Joy
http://beckyjoy.com
http://artworkshopsonline.com
beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...