Friday, June 24, 2011

zion oil plein air landscape paintings by BECKY JOY

I just got back from my trip to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for the Oil Painters of America show, then on to Whitefish, MT for some visiting, hiking and a little painting. The last leg of the trip I went to Mt. Carmel, UT where I met my friend, Deb Groesser, to paint in the Zion, Mt. Carmel, and Escalante area for three days. We stayed at an artists retreat in Mt. Carmel, which was Maynard Dixon's home. It was a wonderful place including the grounds.

The first painting was from the town of Springville, Utah at a park late in the afternoon. The only light left was hitting the tops of the hills, lighting up the rocks and trees, some of my favorite lighting to paint. It's a rush, literally. The painting measures 6x8 and is for sale on my website for $300.

This second painting measures 8x10 and is for sale on my website for $400.  I painted this painting from the Maynard Dixon property in the morning looking across the road at Mt. Carmel. The warm colors of the sunlit rocks brings that part of the painting to your center of interest. I echoed the color in the house and some in the foreground trees. The mountains have so much color it is hard to stay on task and keep the shapes simple and not break it up with too much stuff going on.

I have more photos that I will be posting, but I also have some photoshopping to do and a few touch ups on some of the paintings. So, I'll talk to you all later.

Becky Joy
http://beckyjoy.com
beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...