Saturday, September 4, 2010

A SUNSET WITH FEELING, TOM BROWN PLEIN AIR



"CATCH IT IN YOUR HANDS"
5x7 INCH ORIGINAL
PLEIN AIR OIL PAINTING
BY TOM BROWN

Blazing sunsets are awe-inspiring; nothing new about that.

But did you ever risk trying to catch and hold one in your bare hands? That’s what it feels like when you confront nature with paints and brushes at a time like this. It’s intimidating to say the least.

This particular moment caught me off guard. I was in my garage unpacking the car after a day afield with my paints when I glanced up the street and witnessed this final delight.

Standing in the open garage I grabbed my easel and let the paint fly. It was a final “hurrah” – and then it was gone. It’s scary how briefly this moment lasted.

When I paint something like this I skip the boring details: cars in the driveways, mailboxes and lamp posts, stuff like that. I go right for the treasures: colors in the sky, the streaks of purplish clouds, the reddish glare diffusing the trees where the sun is sinking. That’s what it’s really about anyway.

I shot a photo too, but it isn’t quite the same. The camera’s version lacks the emotion I felt. I guess that’s one reason I do this; to capture what I feel, the “WOW” of the moment. And to share it with others.

Hope I succeeded. If so, enjoy. And have a colorful day.

If you’d like this little treasure for your walls, let me know: tombrownstudio@cox.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...