Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A New Season (commissioned work) - by Roxanne Steed



8"x6" oil on Belgian linen mounted on museum quality board

"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden!"
- Claudia Ghandi


One of my collectors posts the most wonderful quotes on Facebook... this is one she listed that I had not heard before & thought was profoundly beautiful. Thanks Jamie, for sharing these wonderful thoughts! It goes so well with the story I'm about to share!

I had promised at some point I would share the 'big reveal' of a recent commission. This was a very special occasion and meant a lot to me to be able to fulfill this. A dear friend of ours was retiring from the Navy after many years in the Navy's submarine force. He wanted to commission a painting as a gift to his wife (as I well know, when the service member serves, the whole family serves). She is a master gardener and for the longest time the running joke was, "I want to live some where long enough to grow asparagus." (as apparently it takes at least 3 years to get a decent crop of it). As submarine service members, we are usually transferred at the 2 or 3 year point to the next duty station. So....in this painting, he requested a still-life with these 3 elements - red roses for love, an anchor symbolizing the Navy, and of course asparagus- symbolizing the stability from moving they hope to now have! Ohhhh- this would be a challenge to put these three together, but once I had sketched out several ideas, I could easily see what composition would work best. I am so excited to share this picture and story with you...and am honored to be a part of such a wonderful gift for a couple that is very special to our family! "Fair winds and following seas!", and all our best wishes in this 'new season' in their lives!

Today's painting "A New Season", and is an 8"x6" oil on oil-primed linen mounted on museum quality board. It is a commissioned work for dear family friends we are proud to have served with in the US Navy!


Hope you get a chance to get outside and smell the flowers today! ****Tomorrow I hope to show you what I pulled in from my garden! ....woohoo, what a bounteous harvest!! Yeah, gotta love summer!

My website
My blog
My DailyPainters Gallery/store

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...